Start date: 30 Apr 2015
CHOREOGATA is a choreographic development scheme that will support two South Asian dance artists from the UK build on and develop their choreographic careers. Successful recipients of CHOREOGATA will be awarded a commission of £5,000 to present a new short work for performance or sharing in May 2016. During the programme, artists will receive a range of support with marketing, fundraising and production from Akademi alongside an independent nominated artistic mentor.
“I am thoroughly overwhelmed to be part of Choreogata. Akademi has been supporting my work since 2006 and it’s always a joyous experience working with its efficient team. I consider this as a huge step forwards, endeavouring to push boundaries from my previous work and experiences.” – Divya Kasturi, Choreogata 2014
“Choreogata for me is the right platform where I will receive support and partnerships from established organisations. The mentoring facilitated by Akademi equipped me to create a quality production.” – Urja Desai Thakore, Choreogata 2014
CHOREOGATA is an open application choreographic commission for dance makers with a professional background in a classical South Asian dance style. This project provides the opportunity for artists to create new contemporary dance work. Artists will be shortlisted and interviewed by an independent panel.
Applicants must have:
• a professional background in a classical South Asian dance style
• a provable track record in choreographing work on themselves or on others
• an advanced ability and understanding of stage craft
• a willingness to work with a mentor, explore and further their professional development
• enthusiasm to advocate for Akademi and the CHOREOGATA programme.
The selected artists will receive:
• a commission of £5000* to present a new work up to 20 min at a platform to be arranged by Akademi in May 2016
• Three 1:1 sessions with a member of Akademi’s artist support & development team and project partners where appropriate to help them create a personalised business plan, budget and detailed exit strategy post project.
• an artistic mentor
• support with fundraising and how to develop and write funding applications (Akademi have factored time in to enable a Grants for Arts application as part of the CHOREOGATA process)
• marketing & communications support
• the opportunity to network with promoters, stakeholders, opinion formers and policy makers
• one years free membership to the SouthAsianDance.org.uk.
[*this commission can be used to act as leverage to attract further funding, but the selected artists will receive advice in managing their budget and making appropriate artistic decisions] [**Or other nominated London venue]Upon completion of the CHOREOGATA programme, artists will receive a signed certificate confirming their participation and identifying their achievement and be credited with the CHOREOGATA Award logo.
Download an application HERE